Thursday, July 22, 2010

Why "Read."

Most everything seems to be narrative nowadays. Being a bible scholar, I'm very focused on narrative and the way we view/sort/compose/analyze/adapt our lives through narrative. Now, I'm not saying that life follows a narrative, but that we follow narratives when we live. We make sense of our lives through narratives, which come from a variety of sources: human evolution, Scripture, soap operas, myths, tales, etc. Most often, we access these narratives unconsciously: narratives fill our culture and always have. So I want to say up front that I'm reading life through narratives, self-consciously, thereby forefronting my own narratives. By forefronting these narratives, I'm inviting you to critique/appreciate/deprecate/adopt/discard them as relevant to your own life.

Some of my friends have asked me to blog about my recent trip to Israel. I will begin this blog doing just that. I'll start by posting one or more images from my trip, then display my narrative and perhaps the narratives implied that exceed my own. And let me say this: I'm using a barely-formal understanding of narrative. I'm surely open to any who may be more educated in narrative structure that may wish to prod me to a more formal, technical approach. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment